Who is responsible to damage done to a vehicle in the possession of a 16 year old

Asked over 1 year ago - Clearfield, UT

My sons friend was driving his mom's car with her permission and my son cracked the window when his friend gassed the car and he went into the window

1. Kristen Jane DeWitt-Lopez

6

Answered . I am a bit confused by the question...are you saying your son's friend hit the accelerator causing your son to hit the window? If so your son's friend is responsible, and ultimately, the mother is responsible for her child's actions. Is there more to this story?

2. Jeffrey Reid Butler

Pro

4

Answered . If your son incurred personal injury from going into the window as a result of his friend's lack of judgment by accelerating too quickly, the auto insurance company covering the car should pay for damages. Some personal injury attorneys, like my office, provide free initial consultations to review the facts of the case and assess whether or not your son has a case against his friend's mother's insurance agency. (801) 495-4104.

The items I discussed above are for information and not to be relied upon. You should talk with an attorney.
  3. Craig Bainum

3

Answered . Based on the information you have given us here, it doesn't look like your son is responsible for the damage to the window. But I am curious as to which part of your son hit which window?

4. Jack C. Helgesen

Pro

3

Answered . Under Utah law, the person who caused your son to hit the window is responsible to pay for the damage. Unless your son was being careless, the driver and his mother need to pay the damage.

Pro

4

Answered . If your son sustained a head injury / concussion from hitting the window, retain a local personal injury lawyer for representation in a case against the mom, which her insurance will likely cover.

6. Robert Bruce Kopelson

3

Answered . Depends. If he accelerated too fast so that it would be unreasonable, the driver would be responsible for the car damage and the injury to your son.

7. Christopher Steven Hoffmann

3

Answered . Submit the facts of the car accident and injury again... More clarification needed.

8. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

2

Answered . It sounds like the owner's son is responsible for causing the damage to the window. He is also responsible for any damages done to your son. (However, your son should be taught to wear a seatbelt.) If your son has been injured, you should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.