Who is responsible for the tree branch?

Cleveland, OH |

My neighbor has a tree on their yard, and one of the big branches is partly dangling from the trunk. Problem is the end part of that big branch has landed onto my property. I'm afraid if I try to move the end of the branch to get it off my property, it might take the whole branch down. If that happens, 95% of that branch will fall onto their property, but I'm afraid they might blame me for what happened. Shouldn't the neighbor take down that branch or am I responsible?

1. Check the state statutes and your local ordinances and any HOA, but ordinarily your neighbor cannot trespass on your property or maintain a nuisance. The law controls, but my first suggestion is talk to your neighbor and ask them to remove it. You could get their written agreement to have someone remove the branch with reimbursement to you for the expense, but then you would be assuming some liability. They own the problem-they should deal with it.

DISCLAIMER: The forgoing comment is for general educational purposes only, and is not legal advice upon which the reader may rely as the commenter has no actual knowledge of the facts of the case, has not interviewed persons or examined evidence, and has not researched the applicable law. The comment is based only on the facts provided, which are extremely limited, and may or may not be true. Complete defenses may prevent the success of any claim. Competent legal advice should always be obtained before taking any legal action or filing suit. Readers employ any information provided herein at their own risk.