Who is responsible for the medical bills?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hollywood, FL

I was involved in an accident that wasnt my fault. Another driver backed into my vehicle. The adjuster for the party at fault told me that my insurance has to pick up the medical bills and that they say the accident is a 50-50 split. How can they get away with that when the accident was clearly not my fault?

1. John Michael Phillips

Pro

9

Answered . Determination by an insurance adjuster means nothing. Liability is determined by jurors and based on witnesses. I agree you should hire a lawyer to advocate for you. That is not an offer you have to accept.

www.knowthelawyer.com

2. Daniel Marc Berman

6

Answered . They can get away with it because it sounds like you don't have a lawyer and they are taking advantage of you, which is usual. If you were injured in an accident then you need to have a lawyer working on your case. It is really that simple.
    Yes, your PIP insurance should cover your own medical bills but you might be entitled to monetary damages for pain and suffering from the at fault party. Hire an attorney immediately.mplease visit our web site at www.southfloridaaccidents.com and contact us for a free consultation.

3. Steven Mark Sweat

6

Answered . Retain an attorney to advocate for your rights.

4. Keith Patrick Ligori

3

Answered . It is important for you to contact a personal injury attorney immediately to properly indentify all of the automobile insurance issues in your case. Even if you have been cited for the accident, it does not mean that you are entirely at fault. The only way a personal injury attorney can assist you with a claim/case is if you have suffered injuries that were causally related to the accident. Good luck!

The Law Offices of Keith Ligori
    Free Consultations
    813-254-7119
    info@keithligorilaw.com

5. Anthony Claude Francis

3

Answered . It is possible for you to partialy at fault, even if you do not elie e you were. You did not share whose medical bills were at issue, so I cannot tell for sure if you were injured. If you were injured, it should be easy for you to retain free legal representation, and have an attorney help you figure it out. If you were not injured, your insurance company should be helping you assess whether or not you bare any liability.

6. David L. Hirsch

Pro

3

Answered . You are absolutely right! Welcome to the world of personal injury litigation. You need an attorney as its obvious that you are going to have a fight on your hands. Call me and I can help you with this. You obviously see that you are not going to be able to handle this alone. The good news is that most of us who handle these personal injury cases do so on a contingency basis and that contingent rate is set by the State. That means you will owe nothing for attorney fees if you don't recover for your injuries.
    DISCLAIMER STATEMENT

FOR ANYONE READING THIS BLOG OR QUESTION POSERS ON AVVO:
    The response to questions posted on facebook which are responses to questions submitted by anonymous persons on AVVO are in no way intended to establish any form of attorney-client relationship with either the anonymous AVVO question submitters or any facebook readers nor should they rely on this information in any pending legal matter. The responses given are deemed as responses to general questions and fact scenarios posed as an educational exercise only, should in no way be deemed legal advice provided to any persons in states in which the author is not licensed to practice law or viewed as a solicitation of clients from those states in which the author is not duly licensed to practice law, should not been deemed as psychological counseling advice or psychological advice for which this author is in no way qualified to provide nor should any reader rely on any such information without first seeking advice from an attorney at law, licensed in the state of the reader’s residence in regard to any information posted or from a licensed qualified psychiatrist, psychologist, mental health employee, licensed clinical social worker, marriage counselor or other persons licensed by their respective state to provide mental health advice. To the best of the author’s knowledge the questions may well be generated for pedagogical purposes only and not necessarily posted from real persons seeking legal advice.

7. Jeffrey Scott Altman

3

Answered . First, regarding your medical bills, Florida has No Fault Personal Injury Protection. This generally means that no matter who is at fault for the accident your own insurance actually does have to pay for medical expenses that are reasonable, necessary and related to the car accident. Most people have deductibles and co-pays that you can try and recover from the other persons insurance company.

Fault for the accident comes into play when trying to recover for property damage, medical bills not covered by your insurance, future medical expenses, pain and suffering and a few additional potential items of damage.

Florida also has a presumption of negligence against the trailing vehicle in a rear end collision accident.

These are all issue best discussed with a Florida attorney that handles car accident cases. As stated by the other attorneys, you cannot be forced to accept what an adjuster determines - that is what Courts and Juries are for.