Who is responsible for taking care of matters after the passing of my mother who has been declared incompetent ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Richmond, VA

I have power of attorney and pay her monthly bills at a nursing home with her checking account in which is deposited her monthly SS check and a small pension . When she dies my sister is named administrator . Who is responsible for wrapping up all arrangements after she dies , i . e . the checking account ? funeral arrangements , etc ?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Victoria Lee Allen

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Very generally, after someone passes, POA powers terminate and the named executor in a will (if they choose to accept the duties) or the individual that qualifies as administrator will be the one to manage all continuing matters.

    Please note that this response is based upon the limited information available in the question. In addition, it... more
  2. Steven M Zelinger


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Some of your statements are a bit confusing. If you (or anyone else) is an agent under a POA that ends at death. After death, the estate is formed and handled by an executor under a will or administrator if there is no will. You say your sister is "named administrator" _ so she either is the NOMINATED executor in a will or you Expect her to be administrator but she can't yet be administrator if your mother is still alive. It is the executor/administrator's job to handle all the duties you mention.

    This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is... more
    James P. Frederick
    James P. Frederick, Power of Attorney Lawyer - Livonia, MI
    Posted almost 2 years ago.

    I was thinking the same thing. Nice catch!

  3. Elanor Ruth Snyder

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The duties that you have as your mother's agent under her power of attorney terminate when she passes away. Not only are you not responsible for wrapping up your mother's affairs after she passes, but you have no authority to do so, unless you are the administrator or executor of her estate. Since it seems from your question that your mother has nominated your sister to be the executor of her estate, your sister will be responsible for wrapping up your mother's affairs, if she agrees to act as the executor. If your sister refuses to act as the executor, and your mother has not named an alternate executor, you or anyone else may apply to be appointed as the administrator of your mother's estate.

    This answer is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and... more
  4. Jeffrey Alan Fleischhauer

    Contributor Level 2

    Answered . While your mother is incompentent, you are taking care of her affairs under the Power of Attorney which was granted to you by her before her incompetency. However, this Power of Attorney expires upon your mother's death. You indicate that your sister is named as administrator, but do not say what document names her as administrator. Most likely she is named as an Executrix under your mother's last will and testament. As Executrix, she would have to qualify with the Circuit Court in the jurisdiction where your mother lives (her domicile). Then she would be responsible for settling your mother's estate, such as paying debts, filing taxes, disposing of property, filing papers with the Commissioner of Accounts and distributing money and property to the persons or entities named in the last will and testament. The issue of bank accounts may be different since bank accounts are governed by the signature card signed by the decedent, and the deposits would go to the beneficiary named on the card. If no beneficiary is named on the card the bank account is handled as part of the estate.

    The statement above is a general statement of the law and is based upon an incomplete knowledge of the facts of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,307 answers this week

3,048 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,307 answers this week

3,048 attorneys answering