Who is responsible for payment for bedbug treatment? The tenant or the landlord?

Asked over 1 year ago - Mesa, AZ

We found bedbugs in our apt. and reported it to the office. The office is charging us for 3 treatments that they said we need done, which includes shampoo of the carpet. Each treatment is over $300 we don't have. I thought the landlord was responsible for these types of treatments. What can we do? Thank you!

1. William W. Fife III

Best Answer

Answered . Your lease may designate who is responsible for pest control; so review your lease. If the infestation was present before you moved into the property, the landlord has certain statutory requirements to notify you. I have provided a link to the AZ statute covering bedbugs in landlord tenant situations

2. Cheryl Rivera Smith

1

Answered . It depends on whether or not you are responsible for the infestation. If you disagree, you can sue in small claims court for reimbursement.