Who is responsible for payment for bedbug treatment? The tenant or the landlord?

Mesa, AZ |

We found bedbugs in our apt. and reported it to the office. The office is charging us for 3 treatments that they said we need done, which includes shampoo of the carpet. Each treatment is over $300 we don't have. I thought the landlord was responsible for these types of treatments. What can we do? Thank you!

Your lease may designate who is responsible for pest control; so review your lease. If the infestation was present before you moved into the property, the landlord has certain statutory requirements to notify you. I have provided a link to the AZ statute covering bedbugs in landlord tenant situations

William Fife is an Attorney with Fife & Cesta, a compassionate firm conveniently located off the US 60 in Mesa, Arizona. The answers given here are based on the information in the question; for a complete answer you should have a consultation with an attorney you trust. Call now for a free bankruptcy consultation. We carefully evaluate your situation and give you real advice.

Thank you kindly, Mr. Fife for such complete and detailed answer to my question and the for the most helpful information...

It depends on whether or not you are responsible for the infestation. If you disagree, you can sue in small claims court for reimbursement.

Recommended articles about Real estate