Who is responsible for getting the certificate of occupancy for a commercial space?

Asked over 4 years ago - Austin, TX

I have a tenant that want to rent a commercial unit..he wants me to supply a certificate of occupancy...this is the first time I have been asked that...all of my other tenants had applied for their own.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Michael W. Eaton

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . In a commercial building, once the buildout is complete, and a lease is executed, it is the tenant's responsibility to obtain a certificate of occupancy, provided that any utilities are in their name. If they are a "subtenant" of the owner and the utilities are in the owner's name, the owner must get the CO. Check with the Building Department of the City, and they'll give you the necessary information and forms. There is usually a fee of about $100-350 associated with getting the CO issued

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,895 answers this week

3,195 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,895 answers this week

3,195 attorneys answering