Who is responsible for extermination of bed bugs? Landlord or Tenant?

Asked about 4 years ago - Mechanicsburg, PA

My boyfriend has recently moved out of his apartment complex. When the proprety management did a last review of the apartment after he left, they are claiming to have found a bed bug.

They told him he would need to pay the extermination and was also told that they would be checking the neighboring apartments and if they found bugs there, he would need to pay for their extermination as well. They called him back and said it is only his apartment and are trying to charge him $600 - $700. He was planning to pay, as financial concerns are no issue for him, but I'm not sure it is his responsibility.

Any advice??

1. James S. Tupitza

Answered . The hardest thing to do is prove the bed bug came from your boyfriend. The way I prove it when I represent a LL is to put in photos showing the tenant was a slob with dirty clothes on the floor and no vacuum cleaner within miles. When I represent the tenant, I show photos of a clean apt, photos of vacuum cleaner and testimony of friends about the anal retentive nature of the tenant.
    DISCLAIMER The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise.
    James S. Tupitza
    212 West Gay Street
    West Chester, PA 19380