Who is responsible for a pre-existing mortgage, the life tenant or the remaindermen?

Albany, NY |

Me, my siblings, and my stepmother were deeded two properties by my father shortly before his death. A house where my stepmom lives, and rental property she tends to. We hold both properties as joint tenants with rights of survivorship, however my stepmom was also given a life tenancy in addition to jtros on both properties. This allows her to live in the house and collect the proceeds from the rental property. Both properties have a few years left on their mortgages. Who is responsible for making the mortgage payments? I haven't been able to find an answer to this question under New York State law.

1. You probably won't find the answer in the law, but rather the practical terms of the obligations to the bank. Presumably stepmom and decedent dad were on both the note and the mortgage. So, even if she was just left a life tenancy, which is a current possessory interest in the property, she's still liable on the note and mortgage.

However, let's say that dad owned the house outright, and only he is on the note and mortgage, but stepmom has a life tenancy in the deed or willed to her in an estate. Bottom line is, from the Bank's perspective, SOMEONE is going to have to keep paying that note, or they will foreclose on the mortgage by way of default.

So, the law isn't going to get either the life tenant or the remaindermen off the hook to a third party: the bank which has a security interest securing the note/loan (the mortgage). In that instance, the life tenant and remaindermen will have to work something out between themselves to either pay off the mortgage entirely or keep making the monthly payments, or there won't be any property to argue about: the bank will foreclose, life tenant will be evicted and the remaindermen will have their future interest in the property extinguished.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

2. To answer your question in part, the person who is "responsible" to pay the mortgage is the person who signed the promissory note ('Note") and mortgage security agreement ("Mortgage"). Assuming that the person who signed the Note & Mortgage was your now deceased father, technically no one is personally "responsible" to pay the mortgage payments.

However, if no one pays the payments, the properties will definitely go into foreclosure. So, really, to determine whom among you, your siblings and your step-mother should pay the mortgage payments; this is really something that would have to be discussed and negotiated by and between yourselves. The alternative is to just sell the properties and proportionally divide the profits amongst yourselves.

But just to be clear in answering your question as it pertains to the "responsible" party, legally; the only responsible party is the one whom executed the Mortgage and Note.

Should you have anymore questions, comments or concerns, feel free to reach out anytime.

3. I agree with the two above answers, however, one thing is puzzling. Why would your stepmom have a life estate in both properties? That does not make sense as a life estate is intended to allow a person transfer ownership of the property out of his or her name and keep the right to live in the premises until death. It has nothing to do with the right to collect rents and is in conflict with having an ownership interest with rights of survivorship, so something is off about your stated facts and that should be looked into.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

4. When a person takes out a mortgage, he/she signs 91) a Note (debt obligation) and (2) a Mortgage that gets filed with the County Clerk giving the lender the right to re-possess the property in the event of a default on the Note (payments). The person who signs the Note is technically responsible for re-payment of the mortgage. if your father died, then the debt obligation legally passes to your father's Estate and the Estate would would be responsible for the payments. If no one pays the mortgage, the lender would sue your father's Estate. However, since it was deeded to you prior to his death, you accepted the property subject to all existing liens such as a mortgage (a phrase which is probably on the deed) and therefore if no one pays it, the lender still has the right to foreclose on the property. On a practical note, however, the bank really won't care at this point whose responsible as long as it's paid., so the issue of who makes the payment is solely one of agreement between you, your siblings and your mother.

Wills and estates topics