Skip to main content

Who is responsible for a 3 car pile up? Car 1 hit by car 2 hit by car 3 DUI and fled. If 3 is uninsured how is car 1 compensated

Livermore, CA |

Car 1(me) stopped at traffic light behind a few other cars. Car 1 gets rear ended and is not pushed into others. Didn't get out to assess but pulled over after seeing an SUV with crashed front pass slowly on the right. Parked on right hand cross street to watch the SUV crazily try to drive away oblivious to me trying to get her attention. Then realized there was another car that actually hit my car from the rear. This car #2 was rear ended by the car #3 that drove away. Driver for car 3 apprehended and DUI. Didn't see, but assume that car 3 pushed car 2 into car 1. Witness stopped to help. Can't afford rental car, ours badly damaged. How do I seek compensation for my car and Dr. bills? I only have liability, but clearly at no fault. Want to expedite this because I need wheels!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I am glad that you sought medical attention first and I hope that you are feeling better. The way to expedite the process of receiving compensation is to hire a car accident personal injury attorney and bring all pertinent medical and insurance records to the meeting. Car accident attorneys often offer free consultations to understand what the details of the case are and how to best advocate on the clients behalf. I have over 20 years of experience in successfully handling car accident cases across California and I would be more than happy to review your case. I hope that I can be of greater service to you.
Scott J Corwin
(310) 207-4030


File police report give after both cars see who pays. Also an attorney would help.

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at


Car 1 was stopped and then rearended by car 2. Car 2 was stopped and was pushed by car3. Car 3 is liable for bot damages. If you only have liability you can recover only for medical bills and car repairs. To expedite, hire a lawyer. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., aka El Abogado de Divocios de California: 510-206-4492. It is of a general context and is not intended to form an attorney client relationship. I am licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on divorce, family matters, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Bancarrotas, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Bancarrotas de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


You have potential claims against both of the drivers behind you. You should open claims with the insurance carriers for both vehicles. You need to retain an attorney to assist you with this immediately. The driver that was DUI faces potential punitive damages in addition to having to pay for your medical bills and property damages.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer