Who is liable to pay my the vet bills for my dog that was attacked by my neighbor's pitbull breed dog? The dog was not leashed.

Asked over 2 years ago - Manchester, NH

My dog was attacked while being walked by my friend last night. The dog is a pitbull breed dog and is living in the same condo building I live in. These tenants just moved into the building last month and brought in this dog. This owner even told another neighbor in my building that his dog is vicious and would most likely attack the neighbors dog and that they should keep away. Well this tenant's dog is the one that attacked mine. They were sent a letter a few weeks ago by the condo association to have the dog removed from the property if it was a pitbull breed dog. They did not do so. My dog had to have surgery and it cost over $300 so far. Who is responsible or who can I hold accountable to reimburse me for this?

Pro

4

1

Answered . The dog owner is liable for your vet bills.

The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Lassen Law Firm
    1515 Market St #1510
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    215-510-6755
    http://www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

4

1

Answered . Did you file a report with animal control? If you have not done so, then you need to file one immediately. Once you have filed the report, send a copy of it and copies of any of your vet bills to the dog's owner, with delivery confirmation, and demand payment within X days. You should also send a copy to the HOA. If you do not receive payment within that time you can file a claim in small claims court.

Be aware however, that winning a judgment and collecting a judgment are two different things. Meaning that even if you win, you may never be able to collect.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.
  3. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

2

1

Answered . The owner of the pitbull would be responsible. You may have an argument that the condo association never followed up but, if you are an owner in the association, it may not be wise to sue them, especially over this amount. Take the dog owner to small claims court.