Who is liable for damages if an uninsured motorist hits a bicyclist?

patient is a bicyclist struck by an uninsured motorist. Patient submitted medical bills to their insurance company without submitting to motorists insurance.

Hallandale, FL -

Hernando Victor Pineres

Hernando Victor Pineres

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Coral Gables, FL

Regardless, the uninsured is still liable even though he/she does not have liability. If bike rider has an available PIP policy, then that PIP should cover the first $2,500-$10,000. Then, you need to see if there is any uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage available to the bike rider. However, I would need more info to determine if there is a viable claim. Please feel free to call me.

Mark Alexander Kaire

Mark Alexander Kaire

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Miami, FL

If the patient owns a motor vehicle, then all medical bills must be submitted to their own PIP carrier. In addition, bicyclist can make a claim for his/her injuries to their uninsured motorist carrier.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Contact one of the above lawyers in your state to investigate the coverage

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Rutland, VT

The at fault driver is ultimately responsible, however, if the bicyclist has their own PIP coverage or is a family member of a household covered by a PIP policy, the PIP coverage will apply. Uninsured motorist coverage may also be available to the bicyclist.

The bicyclist should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
Corey Americo Bundza

Corey Americo Bundza

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Daytona Beach, FL

If the uninsured motorist was negligent in the accident, he or she may be ultimately responsible for the bicyclist's damages. However, if the motorist is uninsured and uncollectable, obtaining compensation for the bicyclist may be difficult or impossible. Like others have said, if the bicyclist has auto insurance he may be able to have his medical bills and lost wages paid through his PIP coverage. If he has uninsured motorist coverage (UM), then he may be entitled to further recovery.

Byron L Kennedy III

Byron L Kennedy III

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Saint Petersburg, FL

I agree with all of the other answers but would suggest looking to see if the bicyclist did not have his own vehicle and personal insurance, he may be covered if he is named under a policy owned by someone in his household. That would be the first place I would look.

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Seattle, WA

Need more facts. How did the accident happen and are there any independent witnesses?