Who is liable for damage to employer's vehicle?

Asked 11 months ago - Sierra City, CA

My boyfriend was using his employer's vehicle when the parking gear failed and rolled away causing damage to it. We offered to pay the deductible but they are now saying that the truck was a non op and not insured. They are wanting us to pay for the whole repair. We also found out that the employer knew the parking brake was faulty. Are we responsible?

1. Alan Ray Barnes

10

Answered . There are good arguments to be made here, but the best place to start is with your boyfriend's auto insurance company. Although there are exceptions to coverage that *may* be applicable here depending on the facts, he's generally insured by his own carrier when driving a borrowed vehicle.

If the insurance company determines that coverage applies, they will deal with the liability issues. Which means that you won't have to.

2. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

6

Best Answer

Answered . You may or may not be responsible for some of the damages to something. Your post is open to interpretation as to who or what was damaged by the employer's vehicle, including the vehicle itself.

3. Robert Bruce Kopelson

6

Answered . If you can prove what you say, he shouldn't be liable. Practically, does your BF want to keep his job?

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

6

Answered . This is a difficult decision. Try to work out an agreement with the employer. If you don't, they may not be the employer much longer.

5. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

1

Answered . TRICKY CASE. EMPLOYER KNEW CAR WAS NON-OPERATIONAL AND NOT INSURED. YET ALLOWED EMPLOYEE TO DRIVE IT. I SEE NEGLIGENT ENTRUSTMENT. EMPLOYEE DROVE CAR THAT WAS NOT IN GOOD WORKING ORDER. IF EMPLOYEES KNEW OR HAD REASON TO KNOW, I SEE EMPLOYEE WAS ALSO NEGLIGENT. IF NO NOTICE, THEN EMPLOYEE MAY TENDER TO HIS OWN INSURANCE COMPANY. BEST OF LUCK.

Pro

2

Answered . He can report it to his insurance and employer's insurance to sort out