Who is liable for any injuries?

Asked about 2 years ago - Peachtree City, GA

I backed out of parking lot space extremely slowly because my view was obstructed. I was going less than 5MPH (which I believe is the parking lot's speed limit). I think the driver was over the speed limit. My wheels were already turned, so the right corner of his front bumper hit the left side of my back bumper. Even so, I can accept that blame. But since I was under 5MPH, am I responsible for any injury he sustained if he was over the speed limit and not wearing his seat belt?
My foot was still on the brake while I inched out. The driver got out of the car, said he would call the police and then pulled the car to the side of the road. However, AFTER the driver realized there was no ID in his glove box, he started holding his head and told mall security that he needed to go to the ER.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is the second time you posted the same question, and the answer does not change by reposting it. Yes, you backed up and you're at fault. And that is why you have insurance. If the other driver was hurt, your insurer defends you and pays claims. So stop worrying. (Note that his speeding and seat belt may weaken his claim in that your insurer may argue BOTH of you were negligent, but they'll deal with that, so stop worrying.)

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
  2. Henry David Bullard


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . IYou should report the matter to your insurance carrier first. If a claim is made your carrier will defend you and be responsible for any settlement or judgment up to your policy limits. Good luck.

  3. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Report it to your insurance company, and they will pay for the damages you caused.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. Darrell Brinnett Reynolds Sr.

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, probably.

    Darrell B. Reynolds,
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Ste D
    Decatur, Ga. 30033

Related Topics

Damages for personal injuries

Damages in personal injury cases generally compensate victims for their losses, but some damages are also meant to punish the injurer.

William J. Driscoll

Wrongful Death 101 (Kentucky)

Statute of Limitations: Wrongful death cases must be filed within 2 years of the date of death, but no later than one year from the appointment of the executor or administrator in probate... more

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,893 answers this week

3,577 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,893 answers this week

3,577 attorneys answering