Who is legally responsible for the content of a book or an article?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

Suppose the author, copyright claimant, and publisher of a written work are different. Who is liable for the publication's content? For example, who might be sued for libel or copyright infringement?

1. Sean Patrick Lewis

5

Answered . Well, absent other facts, such as written agreements between two or more of them with indemnification clauses and such, I'd say that involving all of them in a lawsuit would not be out of the question.

2. Oscar Michelen

4

Answered . I agree with Mr. Lewis. All could be responsible - Both the publisher and the author bear responsibility for the work's content but there may be agreements between them that the author will hold the publisher harmless for any copyright claims, etc. Certainly, a plaintiff filing suit will name all potentially liable entities until all the various legal arrangements and theories get sorted out.

3. Aaron Craig Young

3

Answered . Your answer will depend upon a number of other facts not provided, as pointed out by Attorney Lewis and Attorney Michelen. However, there are ways to mitigate certain potential liabilities through contract. I recommend that you contact an Entertainment Attorney with a background in book publishing to discuss your situation in more detail.

4. Daniel Nathan Ballard

1

Answered . Both.