Who is in the wrong

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lewistown, PA

my parents split up 16 years ago and in the divorce contract they both agreed to pay half of my brother an i's post secondary schooling.. my mom refuses to pay it and my dad is suin her? is that enforceable even though my brother is over 18

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

3

8

Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this. If there is a divorce/ separation agreement that calls for the parties to equally share the costs of the school then they must abide by the contract and the party who does not may be held in contempt. You must read the agreement in light of the total agreement perhaps there is some other language that may alter the terms such as "mutually agreeable school or to their financial abilites etc. take care.

2. Michelle Lee Sommer

1

Answered . It would depend on the language in their Marital Settlement Agreement (MSA) and what they agreed to at that time. If it was ageed that both parties would split the cost and now one party is not abiding by the terms then there could be a breach of that agreement. Father would need to contact an attorney to have them review the MSA.

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

Answered . Depends n the wording of the contract. Best to ask a local divorce lawyer. Good luck in school.