Who is FURNISHER in the FCRA? Are Credit Bureaus required to verify a debt with original creditor or just the collection agency?

Kansas City, MO |

I have heard that Credit Bureaus are supposed to verify/validate a disputed debt with the original creditor, not just the collection agency who reported the debt to them; but I can not find a clear definition of “furnisher” in the Act.

1. The Furnisher is the business that provides credit data about you to the credit reporting agency.
    If the debt collector reported the data, they have to verify it. If the credit grantor reported about you, it would be their obligation to respond to your written dispute. Go to Hwh-law.com and click on the credit reporting tab for more details on how to dispute a trade line on your credit report. Feel free to give us a call.

2. The furnisher is the party who reported the information to the credit bureau.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. 

3. You are correct. A disputed debt must be investigated. The exception is where the bureau has a reasonable belief that the dispute is frivolous. The furnisher can be either the original creditor or collector, whoever reports the data to the credit bureau

This answer is intended to provide general information only. It does not create an attorney client relationship nor should it be construed as legal advice or an opinion on specific situations. Donald A. Green is only licensed to practice law in California and Oregon.