Who does the personal property go to and what should i do

Asked about 2 years ago - Greenville, SC

my father just passed away and his family has all of his belongings i have three other siblings

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Amanda Marie Cook

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am sorry for your loss. The answer to this question depends on whether there is a will or trust in place. Most people provide that personal property should be divided among everyone as they agree. However, sometimes there is a rotation provided for or certain items that go to certain people.

    THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can... more
  2. Eric Jerome Gold


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The distribution of personal property after death depends on whether the decedent has a valid will or trust. The provisions of a will or trust will generally prevail, especially as to personal items of nominal value. Assets of greater value could be the subject to creditor's claims, etc.

    At this point, you would be best served to consult with a local probate attorney to aid you with the process of handling your father's estate.

    ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client... more

Related Topics

Real property ownership

Several different kinds of property ownership exist, including joint tenancy, tenancy in common and more. The right one for you depends on your circumstances.

Inheritance rights and estate planning

Inheritance rights refers to the rights most states give to a spouse (and in some cases, children or grandchildren) that prevent you from disinheriting them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,874 answers this week

3,576 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,874 answers this week

3,576 attorneys answering