Who does a defense attorney need authority from to get a mediation? My accident happen almost 3 yrs ago. I want to move-on life.

Jamaica, NY |

I was hit by an out of control private school bus while standing on the sidewalk 3 yrs ago. My lawyer tell me over the phone. Note of Issue being filed. Motion for summary judgment is on before the Judge in February. The defense attorney is trying to get authority to mediate.

Assuming that the private school bus was insured, the defense attorney needs to get permission from the vehicle's insurance carrier before proceeding with mediation. Even if the carrier does agree, it is usually advisable for your attorney to get defense counsel to make an offer before spending the time energy and money on a mediation. If the carrier will not make a good faith offer, it may not be fruitful to go through a mediation.

Good Luck

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for contacting an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction and obtaining legal advice from such an attorney.

The money used in the disposition of a case does not belong to defense counsel, it is the insurance company's. They ultimately have the authority in all such decisions.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.

These are all positive signs that the case is moving along.

If this Answer was of assistance please mark it as "helpful." If you have further questions or inquiries please feel free to contact us via electronic mail at bcpascale@pascalelaw.com or telephone at (516) 280-4716. Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

The defense attorney needs to get settlement authority from his/her client (the bus company) to settle the case. The private school bus company may be waiting to see how the summary judgment motion is resolved prior to issuing any settlement authority. Good luck.

It sounds like your lawyer has it under control.

Licensed & have offices in PA & NJ ONLY. (Philadelphia, PA & Marlton, NJ)

The defense attorney does not have the authority to mediate, that must come from the insurance company. Mediators cost money and the insurance company has to agree to foot the bill.

The defense attorney can only do what their client, the insurance company, authorizes them to do. Be patient - these things often take time to be done properly.

DISCLAIMER: This information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.

Jonathan Read Peirce

Jonathan Read Peirce

On further reflection, I should clarify that the defense attorney's client is the defendant, not necessarily an insurance company.

The insurance company or self-insured client must give the authority for mediation. The defense attorney makes no decisions and can only offer money or go to mediation with the authority given to them by the insurance company or self-insured party.

The defense attorney needs to get permission from the insurance company to mediate your case. You have an attorney who appears to be moving your case along. Have a discussion with your attorney to get more information about the procedures being followed in your case.

The insurance carrier

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

There are insurance companies in NY that do not like to mediate, such as Allstate. Since it is not mandatory, unless both parties believe it could lead to a settlement it could be a waste of time. Be patient. Your case is on the calendar. If you have significant injuries, getting it right is much more important than getting it quickly.