Skip to main content

Who do you report a Stolen act of Valor to?

Temecula, CA |

I am married to a retired USMC officer. It has recently come to my attention that his story about his entire military career is false. He has been an instructor in the JROTC capacity for the last 4 years and has had to still wear his uniform, from Charlie's to full Blues depending on the event. Upon reflection and looking through pictures, his ribbon boards are always different with "valor" pins and a "purple heart" pin recently added. I have spoken with base legal here at Pendelton but seem to be hitting the "civilian vs. military wall.
I am about to go to the newspaper as this man is a definite fraud. Who handles the legalities of this?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. It is a Federal crime if he he used ribbons or medals to obtain something of value. Try reporting to FBI.

  2. The FBI is the proper law enforcement agency to report this to. They will conduct an investigation and if the allegations are substantiated, they will refer the case to the US Attorney's Office for prosecution.

  3. Read up on the new Obama law - it is the updated Stolen valor act. It is a federal crime for people to pass themselves off as war heroes by wearing medals they didn't rightfully earn. Report the matter to your congressional representative in your congressional district.

  4. You may also want to advise his unit. Be
    mindful that he could lose his retirement, etc. GI bill, etc.

    DISCLAIMER: This information is intended for public and educational use only, it does not form an attorney-client relationship and it is not intended as legal advice. Nothing replaces a confidential consultation with an attorney. This communication may be considered attorney advertising. Do not post any privileged information, instead contact an attorney directly.


Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics