Who do I turn to when the HOA, the contractor and the home insurance company say it's not their fault?

Asked 11 months ago - Van Nuys, CA

I own a condo unit which has two floors. I had a leak at the laundry room on the 2nd floor that I did not notice until it started leaking in the 1st floor living room. I called the Home Owner Association and they sent a general contractor to investigate. The contractor opened up a big hole in my ceiling, said there's mold there and left. I've informed the HOA and the insurance company, but everyone says it's my problem to fix. Is it? Is anyone other than me responsible in this situation? Thank you.

1. Justin Drayton Graham

2

Answered . Call your the insurer for your unit.

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

2

Answered . I agree it is your problem. Hopefully, you have homeowners insurance. Report the matter to your carrier. Still, you may be out of luck as many policies exclude water damage from leaking pipes. Good luck.

3. Thomas Logan Watters

Answered . More information is required. What is the source of the leak, a pipe, the washing machine, the roof, something else? How old is your unit? The statute of limitations for latent defects may be up to 10 years. If you insurer doesn't cover the claim, you should contact an attorney experienced in construction defect cases.

I am not your attorney, and the above information is for educational cases only.