Skip to main content

Who do I need to ask about leaving the state if I am on probation for DUI?

Juliette, GA |

I am in a long distant relationship with my girlfriend and it is really hard being away from each other. I would like to go see her on valentines day and surprise her. This is my first DUI, I've completed half of my Community Service and paid off half of my fines.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


My recommendation is pay off ALL of your fines and finish ALL of your community services hours (which would only be a little over 2 days then). If you have done that, you can ask to be put on non-reporting probation or you can ask for the probation to be terminated. Either of these would mean you would not have to ask anyone. Failiing that, you need to get permission from your probation officer to travel out of state. As an aside, this is a question you should be asking the attorney who represented you when you entered your guilty plea. Good luck!

The information is for general information purposes only. Receipt of this information or e-mail from our website, or other communications should NOT be construed as legal advice for any individual case or situation, nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship.



thank you!!!


You need to speak to your probation officer.



thank you!!!


You should have a copy of your Final Disposition. (Sentence of the court) Read it carefully. This being a misdemeanor, you may find there is no restriction on your travel. So long as you are satisfying the reporting requirements most POs could care less where you go. In 35 years I have never seen a revocation for going out of state of a misdemeanor case as the only violation issue. If in doubt write your PO with the details of your travel, when you are returning and don't eat too much chocolate!

I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta, Statesboro and Savannah, Georgia. You may review more information about my practice by going to: The information I am providing you should only be considered for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Consider it as a good first step in your knowledge acquisition, but not as legal advice. Indeed, any information I provide is based on the extremely limited facts you have provided and new facts could substantially alter any answer or reply. My opinion should be understood to apply only to the laws of the State of Georgia. You should always consult with a local attorney about your situation if you live outside of the State of Georgia.


Speak with your probation officer. If you can pay your fine, and complete all of your probation requirements see if they will let your probation become non-reporting which means you will still be on probation, and subject to all of the rules of probation, but you will not have to check in with them once a month.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.


Unless there is a restriction your travel in you probation conditions, you can sojourn to another state as long as you return before your next probation meeting. If you plan to stay beyond your next probation appointment, then you will need the permission of the probation officer or if you want to leave the state permanently.

No legal advice should be obtained from this response alone. This response is a matter of attorney opinion only. George C. Creal, Jr., P.C. is Georgia Professional Corporation authorized to practice law in the State of Georgia only and all information contained in this response is intended for use for DUI/DWIs occurring in the State of Georgia. Individuals with DUI/DWIs from outside the State of Georgia should contact a licensed attorney in the state of occurrence of their DUI.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer