Who do I need to ask about leaving the state if I am on probation for DUI?

Asked over 2 years ago - Juliette, GA

I am in a long distant relationship with my girlfriend and it is really hard being away from each other. I would like to go see her on valentines day and surprise her. This is my first DUI, I've completed half of my Community Service and paid off half of my fines.

1. A James Rockefeller

7

Answered . My recommendation is pay off ALL of your fines and finish ALL of your community services hours (which would only be a little over 2 days then). If you have done that, you can ask to be put on non-reporting probation or you can ask for the probation to be terminated. Either of these would mean you would not have to ask anyone. Failiing that, you need to get permission from your probation officer to travel out of state. As an aside, this is a question you should be asking the attorney who represented you when you entered your guilty plea. Good luck!

2. Jeffery L. Dickerson

3

Answered . You need to speak to your probation officer.

3. Elmer H. Young III

3

Answered . You should have a copy of your Final Disposition. (Sentence of the court) Read it carefully. This being a misdemeanor, you may find there is no restriction on your travel. So long as you are satisfying the reporting requirements most POs could care less where you go. In 35 years I have never seen a revocation for going out of state of a misdemeanor case as the only violation issue. If in doubt write your PO with the details of your travel, when you are returning and don't eat too much chocolate!

4. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . Speak with your probation officer. If you can pay your fine, and complete all of your probation requirements see if they will let your probation become non-reporting which means you will still be on probation, and subject to all of the rules of probation, but you will not have to check in with them once a month.

5. George Chadwell Creal Jr.

2

Answered . Unless there is a restriction your travel in you probation conditions, you can sojourn to another state as long as you return before your next probation meeting. If you plan to stay beyond your next probation appointment, then you will need the permission of the probation officer or if you want to leave the state permanently.