Skip to main content

Who do I get child support from? My partner that wants to terminate the partnership or the biological father?

San Jose, CA |
Filed under: Child support

I have been in a registered domestic partnership since December 2012. My baby was born in May. My partner's name is on the birth certificate. She now wants to terminate the partnership. Who am I suppose to ask for child support from? Once I move back to my home town (in CA still), I will have to apply for government assistance until I find a job. I heard child support will make a case out if I apply for gov assistance so who will they go after? Thank you for your time and help.

Attorney Answers 2


This could get dicey. If you try to hold the partner’s feet to the fire she could also prevent you from moving. if you leave this up to DCSS, they will probably seek support from biodad, as that is more familiar. That said this is all uncharted territory legally speaking.

For the sake of all concerned a REALLY GOOD mediator could--would-- be a much better solution going forward. This will be an 18 year long relationship of co-parenting.. with someone! You need a really good mediator because the not so good one will just try to strong arm whomever they disagree with. Not the desired process or outcome... and remember--the CHILD is the center of this. What you do now will affect all of you for the rest of your lives.

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.

Mark as helpful


This is a duplicate post. I answered the first one.

Mark as helpful

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics