Who do I contact if a letter was sent to the wrong address but was opened?

Asked about 4 years ago - Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I recently traded in some games through a web site and was sent a gift card as payment. I didn't realize it at the time, but they sent the card to my address from 2 years ago, a couple towns over. When we finally realized the mistake, they said that the card had already been redeemed and thus they would not re-issue a payment. This means someone opened a letter addressed to me, then went out and used the gift card. Who should I be contacting?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Christopher Scott Tretola

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . You shoud probably start with the Postmaster for the post office where the letter was sent.

    This answer is being provided for general educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been established. This answer should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

    Christopher S. Tretola, Esq.
    The Spadaccini Law Firm, LLC
    98 Franklin Corner Road
    Lawrenceville, New Jersey 08648


    tel: (609) 912-0100 x 21
    fax: (609) 912-0400

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,299 answers this week

3,209 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,299 answers this week

3,209 attorneys answering