Who can take ownership of a vehicle upon death?

Asked about 3 years ago - Dearborn, MI

My father recently died. His only remaining living relatives are his mother and his two daughters (myself and sister). His only property is a vehicle. If the vehicle is transeferred to the next of kin, who is that to be? Also, there is a live in girlfriend (who's name is not on the title-only my dad's name is on the title) who is trying to claim the vehicle.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 17

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Under Michigan law, as long as the vehicle is worth less than $60,000, probate is not necessary. You can complete a certificate at the Secretary of State and the vehicle would be re-titled in your name and your sister's. The girlfriend would have no interest in the vehicle, although you could certainly sell it to her, if you wish to.

    James Frederick

    I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice... more
  2. 13

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If he did not leave a will and there is no secured interest in the vehicle it would go to his living issue..meaning it will be divided among the living children. However if his estate is probated the result may be different in accordance with his will..

  3. 12

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Assuming there is no will, the vehicle passes to you and your sister, in equal shares. The vehicle can be sold or the two of you can work something out so one gets the vehicle and the other gets some cash. If you keep the car, you must get insurance. Notifying the insurance company of your father's death may result if a partial refund of the premium for the insurance in force at the time of his death.

    You should not rely on this answer. You should consult a lawyer so you can tell the lawyer the entire situation... more

Related Topics

Estate planning

Estate planning refers to the process in which you decide and document what happens to your assets after you die, by making things like wills or trusts.


Probate is the legal process for proving a will valid or invalid, appointing an executor, and distributing estate assets according to the will or state law.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,728 answers this week

3,715 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,728 answers this week

3,715 attorneys answering