Who can take ownership of a vehicle upon death?

Asked over 2 years ago - Dearborn, MI

My father recently died. His only remaining living relatives are his mother and his two daughters (myself and sister). His only property is a vehicle. If the vehicle is transeferred to the next of kin, who is that to be? Also, there is a live in girlfriend (who's name is not on the title-only my dad's name is on the title) who is trying to claim the vehicle.

1. James P. Frederick

17

Answered . Under Michigan law, as long as the vehicle is worth less than $60,000, probate is not necessary. You can complete a certificate at the Secretary of State and the vehicle would be re-titled in your name and your sister's. The girlfriend would have no interest in the vehicle, although you could certainly sell it to her, if you wish to.

James Frederick

2. Robert M. Alonzi

Pro

13

Answered . If he did not leave a will and there is no secured interest in the vehicle it would go to his living issue..meaning it will be divided among the living children. However if his estate is probated the result may be different in accordance with his will..

3. Peter L. Conway

12

Answered . Assuming there is no will, the vehicle passes to you and your sister, in equal shares. The vehicle can be sold or the two of you can work something out so one gets the vehicle and the other gets some cash. If you keep the car, you must get insurance. Notifying the insurance company of your father's death may result if a partial refund of the premium for the insurance in force at the time of his death.