Who can sign a verification for a corporation or LLC foreign to California? Who is authorized to sign discovery responses?

Napa, CA |

If the company is not headquartered in California who can sign discovery responses? How does their physical location effect their legal ability to sign a verification?

The physical location does not matter. Usually the President of the company will have authority. You may want the corporation to have the shareholders vote on who should be authorized to deal with the lawsuit, and have Minutes reflecting that.

An officer or manager can sign the verification form for discovery responses on behalf of a corporation or LLC. The physical location of the person does not affect their legal ability to sign a verification.

However, if the person is signing outside of California, the person must declare under penalty of perjury "under the laws of the State of California" that the foregoing is true and correct. Also, if the client is outside of the county in which the action is pending, the attorney "could" sign the verification but it is not advisable due to the potential waiver of the attorney-client privilege.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult with your own attorney.

How do I cross-examine an affiant who is greater than 125 miles from the court? Can an attorney sign licensed outside California sign? Something about the verification doesn't appear on its face correct. How do I inspect or challenge the veracity of the signature and representation?

Mr. Chen has provided an accurate and appropriate response.

This response is for information purpose only and does not constitute a legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.

The head of the corp is usually who I have verify. The president CEO or someone like that.

What kind of case is it? You really should hire a lawyer if you are able

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business