Skip to main content


Woodbridge, VA |

If a juvenile was arrested for a felony, and the case was dismissed by accord and satisfaction , are the state-law enforcement records of this case PUBLIC? Also, if a juvenile applies for a job, and signs the waiver for a state background check, did the juvenile sign a contract for even confidential records to be provided to the employer?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Generally, under Virginia code 16.1-306, any juvenile records are subject to be expunged after an offender turns 19 and at least 5 years have passed since the last court juvenile hearing. Also, traffic convictions get expunged once an offender turns 29; however a felony remains forever. However, if the presiding judge specified that it becomes expunged when the offender turned 18, then that may be the case.
    Note, however, that in many cases offenders still have juvenile charges on their NCIC and on electronic court records even though they should have been expunged. It's common for them to stick around longer than they should.
    The best way to obtain an accurate answer is to see a criminal defense attorney in person in your area.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Juvenile law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics