Who can I sue? I am very angry. A default judgment was won against me in Minnesota for monies that my former fiance owned to a

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Homeowner's Association. I was not on the title or deed and never was responsible for the HOA payments. They are trying to collect on this judgment via a collections agency who contacted my family member and embarrassed me. I have a 780 credit score and have never had a late payment in my life. Is my good credit at risk? Are my assets at risk? I think it is very unfair that I have this much stress over a property and debt that was never mine. Is this not an FDCPA violation? Please help.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . If the judgment is in Minnesota I suggest you re-post your question on the Minnesota Avvo page.

2. David Michael Kasell

Pro

2

Answered . Find a Minnesota attorney to vacate the judgment. After that is accomplished the phone calls and collection activity could be addressed.

3. Mitchell Aaron Nathanson

Pro

1

Answered . You should contact a lawyer in Minnesota to vacate the judgment as it was likely defective.

4. Matthew Scott Berkus

2

Answered . I think you need to prioritize your issues. If you have a judgment out there against you that shouldn't be, your energy and resources need to be focused on that issue, not who you can sue. You can sue people once you clean up the underlying problem.

First, verify the existence of the judgment. Contact the court where the judgment was supposedly entered and obtain a copy of the court file (this would likely be the county court where the property was located). In addition, in the court file, you will want to find the affidavit or proof of service. That document will tell you how you were allegedly served with the summons and complaint.

A word of caution, and I can't speak for MN law, but the CC&R's (HOA rules and regulations) can be and often are a separate agreement. "Residents" in an HOA can be bound to the CC&R's even if the resident is not on deed to the underlying property. So, the judgment could be valid...or, at least it is possible. But, as I said, first do some leg work to gather the necessary information to even figure out the next move.

Then contact an attorney in MN to figure out your next step.