Who can I contact and trust in regards to employee abuse?

Manager screamed at me for doing something "wrong" at work though it doesn't go against any policy. After letting the main store manager aware of our situation all he could say was that we need to work it out. We used to be close now she pretends I don't even exist. I feel uncomfortable at work and don't know what to do. I am a dog groomer and have noticed less dogs being scheduled for myself and also a negative change in my schedule since the incident.

Brea, CA -

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Administrative Law Lawyer - Pasadena, CA

I am sorry to tell you that under the law, the conduct you describe does not necessarily constitute abuse or even wrongful employer conduct. It is, of course, a bad employer practice to treat employees rudely and abusively. But in most cases it is not unlawful. Unless you have evidence to support a contention that the bad treatment is based on bias against you for a protected characteristic (such as race, gender, age, etc.), then screaming and rude conduct do not generally raise legal issues of employer liability.

You may want to look for a better position.

Eric Jerome Gold

Eric Jerome Gold

Estate Planning Attorney - Calabasas, CA

Attorney McCall has provided you with good advice. What you have described does not sounds as though you have raised a legal issue. However, it does sound as though you may want to consider exploring other employment options, as rude and abrasive behavior do not lend themselves to a positive environment.