Who can I contact and trust in regards to employee abuse?

Brea, CA |
Filed under: Employment

Manager screamed at me for doing something "wrong" at work though it doesn't go against any policy. After letting the main store manager aware of our situation all he could say was that we need to work it out. We used to be close now she pretends I don't even exist. I feel uncomfortable at work and don't know what to do. I am a dog groomer and have noticed less dogs being scheduled for myself and also a negative change in my schedule since the incident.

I am sorry to tell you that under the law, the conduct you describe does not necessarily constitute abuse or even wrongful employer conduct. It is, of course, a bad employer practice to treat employees rudely and abusively. But in most cases it is not unlawful. Unless you have evidence to support a contention that the bad treatment is based on bias against you for a protected characteristic (such as race, gender, age, etc.), then screaming and rude conduct do not generally raise legal issues of employer liability.

You may want to look for a better position.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Attorney McCall has provided you with good advice. What you have described does not sounds as though you have raised a legal issue. However, it does sound as though you may want to consider exploring other employment options, as rude and abrasive behavior do not lend themselves to a positive environment.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold www.EGoldLaw.com Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con