Who can file a medical malpractice Lawsuit? Can surviving child file for parent? What is the statute of limitation to file?

Please Help. Need to know who can file a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit and what are the statute of limitation to file same, in New York.? Can surviving child file claim for a parent. (Child not a minor) Parent died due to Medical Malpractice and as surviving child (over age 30) need to know what recourse I have. Appreciate all time and interest given.

New York, NY -

Joseph Jonathan Brophy

Joseph Jonathan Brophy

Medical Malpractice Attorney - White Plains, NY

The general statute of limitations for medical malpractice in New York is 2 1/2 years from the date of the malpractice. For wrongful death claims, it is 2 years from the date of death. If the claim is against a municipality, the malpractice statute is shorter and in addition a notice of claim neeeds to be filed within 90 days after the incident. A personal representative needs to be appointed for the estate in order to file a wrongful death suit. Absent a Will naming an executor, a surviving spouse would be first in line to be appointed legal representative, surviving child would be next.

Sponsored Listing
Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Personal Injury Lawyer - New York, NY

If there is a will, the Executor is the person who sues. If there is no will, someone has to go into Surrogate's Court. The statute of limitation depends on whether this was a private or City/State hospital and can get a little tricky with some potential claims. I suggest you consult with an attorney who handles medical malpractice cases. If its a City/State hospital there is a Notice of Claim, Claim or Notice of Intention to Make Claim requirement depending on whose hospital it is.

Jeffrey R Finley

Jeffrey R Finley

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Phoenix, AZ

I agree with both of the previous answers and can only add that given the lack of facts in your question you should immediately seek the advice of a lawyer experienced medical malpractice cases. The statute of limitations is as you have already perceived a fantastic defense for defendants. In this case, you are aware of the issue and therefore need to be even more vigilant in protecting your rights. As most medical malpractice lawyers are "contingent fee" lawyers, it should be easy and inexpensive to have your case reviewed. Best wishes.

Related Advice