Skip to main content

Who can close a civil case or withdraw it, the plantiff or the defendent.? this concerned a child custody matter in family court

Anderson, SC |

a civil case was recently dismissed or withdrawn without letting my son, the plantiff know until after the fact. A 150.00 fee was charged and we do not know who paid it. I was wandering if someone besides my son could do this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


A plaintiff can withdraw a suit. The court can dismiss it for non compliance with the court rules. Normally a defendant cannot have a case dismissed without filing a formal motion and notifying the other side. Your son may be able to reopen the case if he can demonstrate that he had no notice of the matter. Your posting is unclear--did your son want to have custody, or to deny custody? If another party is found to be the biological father the court may dismiss your son's suit for non paternity and for lack of standing (he has no legal right to litigate the issue).

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer