Who can be an authorized signer on Certificate Of Formation?

Wilmington, DE |

I am starting a Delaware LLC of which I am the sole owner, and I want to be as anonymous as possible. Who other than myself can be an authorized signer on the Certificate Of Formation?

1. There is no restriction on who can be an "authorized person" for purposes of signing the Certificate of Formation. Often an officer of the entity services company (such as CSC or Delaware Entity Services) or an attorney preparing the filing will sign as authorized person. They just need to be expressly authorized by the members or managers of the LLC. This is typically done by naming them in the LLC Agreement and stating that they are or were the "authorized person" for purposes of filing the Certificate of Formation.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Unless and until we enter into a formal written engagement agreement, neither Berger Harris, LLC nor any of its attorneys represent you or have any duties toward you. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or review of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. Internet subscribers and online readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel. Do not send us information until you speak with one of our lawyers and get authorization to send that information to us. In some jurisdictions, this World Wide Web site may be considered advertising. Before making your choice of attorney, you should give this matter careful thought. The selection of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon written information about our qualifications and experience. Berger Harris, LLC has endeavored to comply with all known legal and ethical requirements in providing the information found on this website. Berger Harris, LLC does not desire to represent clients based upon their review of any portions of this website that do not comply with legal or ethical requirements in their jurisdictions.

2. Mr. Gottesman is correct. With the proviso that state laws vary, as a general rule just about anyone can sign the certificate of formation. I do it for my clients all of the time.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Business topics