Who can assist with military benefits and divorce?

Asked 10 months ago - Annapolis, MD

My active duty spouse and I are headed to divorce court. We've been married nearly 20 years and retirement is on the horizon for them. I want to ensure the benefits I am entitled to are properly addressed when we're standing before the judge. The lawyer I've been speaking to doesn't appear to be as experienced in military retirement benefits as I need them to be. Help!

1. William Emil Cassara

Pro

3

Answered . While this is one of the most common questions we see on this forum, it is actually not a Military Law question. Your lawyer may need to engage someone who is more experienced with military divorces than he is. Or, you may wish to consult with a different lawyer. I used to practice in Maryland, and if you want to e-mail me off line I would be happy to provide you the name of someone you can contact. Best of luck.

2. Everett Lewis McKeown

Pro

1

Answered . If you are not comfortable with the way your lawyer is handling your case, seek out another attorney in the area where your divorce case is filed and make sure the lawyer is able to answer all your questions concerning military retirement benefits before letting your other attorney go and hiring a new one.

3. Steven P. Shewmaker

1

Answered . You definitely need to hire an experienced attorney. Here is a short list of things you need to address both with your attorney and in court.

1. If you have been married for 20 years overlapping 20 years of military service, you are a 20/20/20 spouse and are eligible for lifetime Tricare medical benefits and some other rights (i.e. commissary and PX).

2. If you are not quite at the 20 year mark, you make want to delay, or do a legal separation. That way you can still reach the 20/20/2 mark.

3. If you achieve 20/20/20 status, you can lose Tricare coverage of you remarry, even if you later divorce spouse #2.

4. You may receive up to 50% of the military pension by direct payment from the DoD (DFAS). You should seek this as property division, and not as alimony. This will be yours even if you later remarry.

5. You may seek the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) to continue pension payments after your ex-spouse dies, provided he passes before you do. But you cannot remarry or you lose this benefit.

These are some of the high points, but there are many more. Please hire someone who is familiar with this or who has the time to research it.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

4. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Hire one who is! Call your state bar for a referral or try the avvo 'find a lawyer' tab.