While working as a personal assistant, I was bit on the face by their dog in their home.

Asked about 1 year ago - Binghamton, NY

I was employed as a personal assistant, the person that i cared told me what needed to be done and i did it. i was instructed to move their small dog from the bed to the couch. the dog was awake and i spoke softly to it as i picked it up. When i did so , the dog bit my face. i directly dropped it back on the bed. My boss, scolded dog but never asked if i was ok. i now have not returned to work due to the fear of the dog. so have no income. i have been to doctors, no stiches but got a tetnus shot because the skin was broken. it now has become pretty infected, to the point that i will not go out in public because of how bad it looks. i am following dr. orders for care but the wound is getting kind of bad. i need help

1. James D. Kiley

Pro

8

Answered . Are you covered under worker's comp? if not, you may choose your remedy and you could possibly bring a claim against the owner if the dog had previously exhibited viscious propensities. You should have a consultation with a personal injury attorney.

2. Carmen S. Giordano

7

Answered . You need a workers compensation/personal injury attorney in your area. Get one immediately!

3. Gaetano Parrinello

7

Answered . You may have a case against the dog owner depending upon the type of employment relationship you had. Call a local workers comp atty and a local personal injury attorney to discuss. The consults should be free.

4. Nathanael Prada

7

Answered . You should seek the assistance of a workers' compensation attorney in your area. I wish you the best in your recovery.

Pro

7

Answered . An attorney who handles workers comp and personal injury should be retained to investigate.

6. Albert Lee Crosner

6

Answered . I am sorry that you were hurt. I have two suggestions. The first would be retaining a local area personal injury attorney to handle your claim if you were an independent contractor. Secondly, this matter could also be a Worker's Compensation claim if you were truly an employee. Good luck.

7. Robert Bruce Kopelson

Pro

5

Answered . make sure you keep your doctor appraised of your condition. Also, take pictures for later.

8. Joseph Gerard Dell

Pro

1

Answered . This is a workers compensation claim. All of the medical treatment needs to go through workers comp. unless you h r a scar on your face or another physical injury workers compensation will not offer you a settlement. The gear of it happening again is also not enough to stop working and collect workers compensation.

9. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

2

Answered . This is an injury which should be covered under your employer's workers compensation insurance coverage. It may also be covered under the owner's homeowners insurance coverage.

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.