While waiting for my Social Security disability to approve, can I leave the country?

I want to go back to my home country (I am a Green Card Holder) and stay for at least 2 years and wait for my Social Security Disability approval as I cannot afford to stay in USA as I dont have an income and cannot work.

Lynnwood, WA -

Attorney Answers (3)

Clifford Michael Farrell

Clifford Michael Farrell

Social Security Lawyers - Columbus, OH

You need to check with SSA about what will happen if you are approved-- there may be some limits on getting payments when you are out of the US.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should... more
Sponsored Listing
Paula Brown Sinclair

Paula Brown Sinclair

Social Security Lawyers - Twin Falls, ID

You can leave, but you will need to be prepared to return if needed to pursue your case. In particular, if an administrative hearing is necessary you will definitely want to be present.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
Lawrence John Gibney Jr.

Lawrence John Gibney Jr.

Social Security Lawyers - Jacksonville, FL

The process itself does not restrict your ability to travel but you may want need to come back for a hearing. The vast majority of my clients need to appear before an Administrative Law Judge to testify. Best of luck to you.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.