While waiting for my Social Security disability to approve, can I leave the country?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lynnwood, WA

I want to go back to my home country (I am a Green Card Holder) and stay for at least 2 years and wait for my Social Security Disability approval as I cannot afford to stay in USA as I dont have an income and cannot work.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Clifford Michael Farrell

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You need to check with SSA about what will happen if you are approved-- there may be some limits on getting payments when you are out of the US.

    The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should... more
  2. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You can leave, but you will need to be prepared to return if needed to pursue your case. In particular, if an administrative hearing is necessary you will definitely want to be present.

    Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Lawrence John Gibney Jr.

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . The process itself does not restrict your ability to travel but you may want need to come back for a hearing. The vast majority of my clients need to appear before an Administrative Law Judge to testify. Best of luck to you.

    This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,443 answers this week

2,669 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,443 answers this week

2,669 attorneys answering