While preparing to move I found that the wall behind my bed is covered in mold.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Oakland, CA

I have lived in my apt. for over 5 years and about a year ago I started having minor breathing issue and allergy symptoms, I just thought it was due to weather so I just purchased allergy pills and kept going but in the last 6 to 8 months I have started experiencing a tightening in my chest, wheezing and a crackling sound while in the apt. It would disappear about an hour after leaving my home, I have also been having some memory loss; not remebering what i wore the day before or where i put the remote 10 minutes after putting it down, body rashes and a few other issues.
Went to the doctor for a blood test and a few other test and they came back + for mold exposure. Can I sue for this?

1. Adrienne Patricia Allen

12

Answered . Yes you can. However it sounds like the actual damages may be too low to warrant attorney involvement? You should consult a personal injury attorney. Good luck.

2. Erin Patricia Farley

8

Answered . I have re-tagged this so appropriate counsel can weigh in on the larger question of a personal injury suit.

As to a landlord/tenant issue, it sounds like you have the basics of a habitability suit wherein you could ask for a return of the rent paid for the period of time mold was an issue.

3. Sean Michael Patrick

6

Answered . You can sue. A large part of whether you will be successful is if anything you did or did not do was the cause of the mold. If not, and you can demonstrate significant damages arising from the mold you may have a solid case. Did you report it to the owners? Consult with an attorney for a consultation. Best of luck.

4. Victor John Otten

4

Answered . To be successful in a personal injury action related to mold exposure you generally need to show 1) the specific type of mold that is in your apartment, 2) that you have an allergy to that specific type of mold and 3) damages.

You should also be aware that most insurance policies that landlords purchase have mold exclusions.

I would suggest contacting an attorney and consider bringing a claim for breach of the warranty of habitability- this can cover contract damages (overpaid rent) and personal injuries (mold exposure).