While out of state, I paid my roommate for utility services I was unaware he had shutoff my access to. How can I get reimbursed?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

The phone and cable access to my devices are controlled by a wall switch. My roommate shutoff my equipment for 2.5 months until I returned and found it off. During this time, I had been paying him my share of the Comcast utility bill, unware he had shutoff my access. I paid approximately $200 over this time period and received nothing. He deposited my checks and won't reimburse me. Is there something I can charge him with? What can I do to get my money back for the services paid for but not received?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . This is a small claims court case. You will have to spend about $150 to file and serve. If you win, that amount is recoverable also. You then will have to collect your judgment. Judgment collection is complicated, and, in a situation like this, likely too complicated for a lay person. I would forget about this, as it is not worth the time and effort it will take to fill out the paperwork, appear in court, obtain a judgment (note, there are not enough facts here to handicap your likelihood of winning) and then collect.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,752 answers this week

3,672 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,752 answers this week

3,672 attorneys answering