While filing for bankruptcy, should I include 1200$ claimed by a notoriously famous extortion letter by a company Getty Images?

Asked 6 months ago - Orlando, FL

I used to have a website which was designed by a developer based in India who used the free images off internet. I got a copyright violation letter from a company's attorney called Getty Images with screenshots of my website, claiming some of the images as theirs asking me for 1200$. Even though I have largely ignored their letters for a year but now I am filing for a bankruptcy. Should I include their 1200$ in my creditors list?

1. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

3

Answered . Yes. You are obligated to list all your creditors, even those who you believe to have bogus claims, and you would want to.

2. Daniel Nathan Ballard

4

Answered . Yes, you should include the monetary demand on your creditors list. The demand is not, moreover, "extortion." It is presumptively a valid and legally supportable demand in exchange for settling copyright infringement claims against you.

3. Meng Ouyang

Answered . This is a question for a bankruptcy attorney. With the cease and desist letter, at least there is a potential creditor. Your bankruptcy attorney will be able to help you.

4. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

Answered . It is a claim against you, so you should list it. Consult your bankruptcy attorney.
    "Free images off Internet"??? "now I am filing bankruptcy" "notorious extortion letter" I am not getting any sense that you respect your legal obligations with respect to copyrights any more than you respect your obligations to pay your bills. I am not getting any sense of a reason we should do anything for you here.