While filing for bankruptcy, should I include 1200$ claimed by a notoriously famous extortion letter by a company Getty Images?

Orlando, FL |

I used to have a website which was designed by a developer based in India who used the free images off internet. I got a copyright violation letter from a company's attorney called Getty Images with screenshots of my website, claiming some of the images as theirs asking me for 1200$. Even though I have largely ignored their letters for a year but now I am filing for a bankruptcy. Should I include their 1200$ in my creditors list?

1. This is a question for a bankruptcy attorney. With the cease and desist letter, at least there is a potential creditor. Your bankruptcy attorney will be able to help you.

The answer intends to provide the general principle of the law and should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed from the provision of the answer.

2. Yes. You are obligated to list all your creditors, even those who you believe to have bogus claims, and you would want to.

I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, your clicking "helpful" and/or "best answer" helps my Avvo rating and would be appreciated. This answer shall not be considered rendering legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. Avvo is a wonderful resource but nothing can substitute for an in-depth consultation face-to-face with a lawyer. The response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

3. Yes, you should include the monetary demand on your creditors list. The demand is not, moreover, "extortion." It is presumptively a valid and legally supportable demand in exchange for settling copyright infringement claims against you.

The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

4. It is a claim against you, so you should list it. Consult your bankruptcy attorney.
    "Free images off Internet"??? "now I am filing bankruptcy" "notorious extortion letter" I am not getting any sense that you respect your legal obligations with respect to copyrights any more than you respect your obligations to pay your bills. I am not getting any sense of a reason we should do anything for you here.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.