While entering the US for the first time as a Perm Resident, does one have to declare funds/assets that he brings with him?

Asked over 1 year ago - Arlington, VA

My brother recently got his "Permanent Resident" visa at the US consulate. He has to enter the U.S. by the end of April. He was asking me to find out if there is any limitation/restriction of funds he can bring with him. Is there a form where he has to declare these incoming funds.

1. Dean P Murray

1

1

Answered . You have to declare any funds being brought into the U.S. if the funds aggregate $10,000 or more. However, you can always send money electronically to avoid having to declare it. However, he may wish to consider doing some pre-immigration tax planning before he enters the U.S. and becomes a permanent resident. There may be certain benefits available to him as a foreign national that he wants to capitalize on before becoming a permanent resident.

If you have additional questions, he should speak to an immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

2. Stephen D. Berman

Answered . I am not aware of any limit to how much money he can bring to the U.S., but he may wish to have the money wired to a U.S. account if he is concerned about travelling with too much cash. There is a limit to funds a person takes out of the U.S., and perhaps his country also has rules about how much money a person can remove.

3. Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Pro

Answered . When entering the US, you have to declare $10,000 or more, whether in dollars, foreign currency, or other monetary instruments.