While applying for US Naturalization, I came across a question about "ever been ordered to be removed...,deported".

Asked about 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

18 years ago I was ordered to be deported, but repealed the decision due to my G4 status at the time, which gave me a diplomatic immunity. My question is what should I answer on question 27 and 28 on page 9 of N-400. Should I say no and explain on the interview, or say yes for both questions and if it comes up respond by saying that the deportation proceeding was by mistake due to my G4 status? Please help as soon as possible!!

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

Answered . Diplomatic immunity is a legal concept in criminal law context. People with diplomatic immunity have been deported form the USA right and left. I do not have enough information to answer your question. If you were ordered deported and your deportation order was later reopened and then the deportation proceedings terminated, you should say yes, and explain. If you got your LPR status despite the fact of having ordered deported and without the deportation order having been first reopened, it was improper and could create problems. If the proceedings were exclusion and not deportation, you are fine but need to disclose and then explain. Consulting with one of the immigration attorneys right here in NY would be a good idea. Very good idea, indeed.

2. Dean P Murray

4

Answered . You should answer the question truthfully and append any explanation. You do not want to have to defend answering a question untruthfully. That will not go over well with USCIS. You would benefit greatly from using the services of an immigration lawyer.

3. Sreenivasarao Vepachedu

4

2

Answered . You should answer truthfully.

4. Lynne Rogers Feldman

4

Answered . You can't go wrong with disclosure on the N-400 and then attach an explanation. G-4 should have signed an I-508 waiving your immunity when you became a PR was the deportation prior to or after becoming a PR? You may want to talk to an immigration attorney about this.

--
    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law