Which visa is required to step 2 CS exam and attend interviews for medical residency training in USA?

Asked about 2 years ago - Marion, IL

hi, i am a doctor , planning to give step 2 CS exam and attend inteviews in coming months.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Scott D. Pollock

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. The B-1/B-2 visitor visa is the appropriate category. Just keep in mind that it requires a temporary purpose and intent to return to your country when the purpose is realized. Most residency programs are done by Foreign Medical Graduates on H-1B or J-1 visas. You should consult with an experienced U.S. attorney regarding the terms and conditions of the various visa categories.

    Scott D. Pollock

    Scott D. Pollock

  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . B-2

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . A B1/B-2 visa is what you apply for. You are coming in for a business purpose to attend interviews and take the USMLE and CS exam. Once you have completed the steps and clinicals, and you are eligible for a license, you can apply for an H-1B visa (possibly cap exempt). This way, you will not be saddled with seeking a waiver after your training is completed.

    Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail: mc@madridcrost.com; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,452 answers this week

3,029 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,452 answers this week

3,029 attorneys answering