Skip to main content

Which type of attorney should I contact for a case involving negligence, fraud, forgery, and illegally opening mail?

Van Nuys, CA |

I had a check sent to my house but i just moved. my room mates were still there and i told them a check should be coming in a few days. just lost my job, had no money to pay bills and the check was big. someone opened it and took it to wells fargo and cashed it without any ID or fingerprint. my school who sent the check sent all my documentation to a fraud investigator at wells fargo. i have yet to receive my money. my bills are all late. i have been under constant stress and emailing back and forth with my school hoping to get this resolved. i would like to sue wells fargo under the person who allowed it to be cashed since it was in the course of regular employment. i also want to sue the individuals who cashed it. please advise.. I live in CA but this happened in CO.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You're going to need a civil attorney in Colorado who handles general civil litigation. Most importantly, you'll need an attorney who appears in federal court, because as a result of your living in a different state than your former roommates. federal court is probably where this will get filed.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.



even if i am a california resident, with a california wells fargo account? i do agree it is likely this will get filed in federal though because of the jurisdiction issue, but can i sue wells fargo is the big question?

Joseph Salvatore Farina

Joseph Salvatore Farina


You can always sue Wells Fargo Bank in federal court but the question then becomes does that defeat diversity jurisdiction? If even one defendant is a California resident, then you can't sue in federal court. I know Wells Fargo is headquartered in California bank but I don't know if they are a California or Delaware corporation. That why you need someone who does federal work.


Respectfully, you're going to have to wait for WF and the issuer of the check to work this out. If you discover the identity of the person who cashed the check, file a police report.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


If you havent done it you MUST FILE a police report, especially if you plan to follow through on a civil case.


As aCalifornia Attorney and one of the very few that are Fraud Examiners ( CFE member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners) I can help you with this problem as an expert and http://

Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer