Skip to main content

Which state's are sex offender friendly?

Seattle, WA |

My charge is Indecent Liberties w/o force which is a class B felony. I am required to register for 15 years as a level 2 in Washington State. However, I don't want to state married to this state that long nor any state that long or longer. I've searched and found that most states require you to register for life if you are moving into their state (having required to register by another state). I want to move to another state and start over. What states are friendly to level 2 sex offenders? Which states can I move to that won't require me to register more than 15 years? Is there a state that I can move to that will allow me to register less than 15 years? Also, once I am off community custody supervision, if I move out of the country, am i required to notify the country i migrate to?

Attorney Answers 2


I don't think that any state is sex offender friendly. I also don't think that you are particularly likely to get much of an answer for that question on here, but I would be happy to be wrong. As for moving out of the country, whether you would have to register there would depend on the law of that country.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


States all have registration requirements and most (like Washington) can charge you with a felony. I believe most states try to match the crime that most resembles the crime you committed and require you to register under their law.

The good news is that there are so many people in your position that it's becoming clear to many of us that registration rolls do little to protect the public. The vast majority of "sex offenders" did not commit predatory offenses. Those who do are finally prioritized in WA for close supervision after release.

I am licensed in Washington. I only practice law in this state. I limit my practice, and my answers on this site, to criminal matters in Washington state, and local questions from the courts north of Seattle where I practice. Any advice is provided for informational purposes, and does not form an attorney-client relationship. Any answers provided by lawyers not licensed to practice law in Washington, purporting to answer questions of Washington state law or the practice of the courts of this state, are probably either too general to be helpful, or unethical under Rules of Professional Conduct in this state. Please contact a local, experienced criminal defense lawyer practicing in the community where your question arises.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment

Mark R Stephens

Mark R Stephens


I meant to say you are subject to a separate felony charge if you Fail to Register as required.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics