Which state laws apply to my divorce? Divorced in California, I now live in Texas and my ex lives in Florida.

Arlington, TX |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony

Ex wife has been living with boyfriend in Florida since April 2011 and they became engaged November 2012. I have been paying alimony and would like to know if since she is cohabitating for this long...is there a way to discontinue alimony? Do California divorce laws apply here or our current states laws?

Even though I am not a Family Lawyer, I believe that the court that granted the divorce and set the alimonry and support if any, retains jurisdiction.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the answer was a good answer tab below. Thanks. Mr. Geffen is licensed to practice law throughout the state of Texas with an office in Dallas. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States and is licensed to practice in US Tax Court as well as The Court of Claims. This answer is provided as a public service and as a general response to a general question, it is not meant, and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

I think you need to consult with a CA attorney about your alimony order. TX would not be a state with jurisdiction nor would FL in my opinion.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.

I would agree with the above attorneys' advice

the information provided above is for information purposes only and you should consult an attorney for specific answers to your case