Which state laws apply to my divorce? Divorced in California, I now live in Texas and my ex lives in Florida.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Arlington, TX

Ex wife has been living with boyfriend in Florida since April 2011 and they became engaged November 2012. I have been paying alimony and would like to know if since she is cohabitating for this long...is there a way to discontinue alimony? Do California divorce laws apply here or our current states laws?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Arthur Harold Geffen


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Even though I am not a Family Lawyer, I believe that the court that granted the divorce and set the alimonry and support if any, retains jurisdiction.

    Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the answer was a good answer tab below. Thanks.... more
  2. William Tyler Moore Jr


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I think you need to consult with a CA attorney about your alimony order. TX would not be a state with jurisdiction nor would FL in my opinion.

    I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you... more
  3. John Naumovski


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I would agree with the above attorneys' advice

    the information provided above is for information purposes only and you should consult an attorney for specific... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,744 answers this week

3,034 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,744 answers this week

3,034 attorneys answering