Which state laws apply to my divorce? Divorced in California, I now live in Texas and my ex lives in Florida.

Asked over 1 year ago - Arlington, TX

Ex wife has been living with boyfriend in Florida since April 2011 and they became engaged November 2012. I have been paying alimony and would like to know if since she is cohabitating for this long...is there a way to discontinue alimony? Do California divorce laws apply here or our current states laws?

1. Arthur Harold Geffen

Pro

3

Answered . Even though I am not a Family Lawyer, I believe that the court that granted the divorce and set the alimonry and support if any, retains jurisdiction.

2. William Tyler Moore Jr

Pro

2

Answered . I think you need to consult with a CA attorney about your alimony order. TX would not be a state with jurisdiction nor would FL in my opinion.

3. John Naumovski

Pro

Answered . I would agree with the above attorneys' advice