Which state do I need to file emancipation paperwork in: my state of legal residence, or the state where I'm currently living?

Asked 3 months ago - Morris Plains, NJ

I am a Florida resident but am currently living with my family in NJ. I am going to emancipate from my parents, but I'm not sure which state I need to emancipate in. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jonathan Seth Corchnoy

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . If you are living with your parents in NJ, then you need to speak with a NJ attorney. Generally, a minor will be deemed to have their domicile, or legal address, where their parents live (except in exceptional situations).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,423 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,423 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering