Which services does Florida DCF offer a 'Parent in Need of Assistance'?

Asked about 1 year ago - Tallahassee, FL

Which services does Florida DCF offer a 'Parent in Need of Assistance'? Specifically a situation where a single parent has physical custody of a mentally ill but high functioning teenager at home?
My friend was urged to call DCF (on her own behalf) but she doesn't want to open herself up to an investigation or incriminate herself because she has a very nasty, vindictive ex-husband who is the father of her mentally ill teenager. This man is irate that he was court ordered to a child support increase with income deduction and much more. When she explained this to me, it sounded like a set up rather than someone genuinely concerned about her and her son. Will calling DCF for herself as a 'Parent in Need of Assistance' be helpful or hurtful. She does not qualify for foodstamps, medicaid, etc.

Additional information

Mother currently and regularly takes child to doctor for medication management and to a psychologist for therapy.
Father threatens her emotionally. Father wants custody, trying to create a paper trail of bad mother parenting. Custody would mean he would not pay this substantial child support increase.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. William Charles Rosenfelt

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is too abstract. We can't answer questions that someone that you know "may" have about the consequences of certain events that she "may be" interesting in learning. You should have a very frank discussion with her and remove any ambiguity about what she is trying to accomplish. She should have no problem with this if she is a friend.

    Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

    Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the... more
  2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . What exactly is it that she is seeking? Is she in fear of the ex-husband, has he done something?

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and... more
  3. Melissa Moore Stockham

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . DCF has a number of services to offer parents in this set of circumstances. Most likely, if a DCF action has been filed, DCF will ask for a staffing to determine if there are any programs that can help parents like your friend. If a DCF action has been filed, your friend has probably been assigned counsel by the court. It may be worth her while as well to talk to private counsel for someone to assist with this process.

    Please note that the answers provided herein are the attorney's professional opinions based upon the attorney's... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,053 answers this week

3,009 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,053 answers this week

3,009 attorneys answering