Which route should I take? eviction or domestic violence?

Asked about 2 years ago - Glendale, CA

Everytime I ask my former-boyfriend to leave my aparment (rent is under my name and I pay not him) he is yelling and calling me names. To a point that I am scared even to sleep in my house, I sleep on the floor of my living room. What should I do? which route I should take? eviction or domestic violence. I am also scared that when he is yelling at me he could have an heart attack, he had 5 by-passes 3 yrs ago. I do not wish to be responsible. I just returned from my long deployment, asked him numerous time to leave he is refusing it. I asked him 10 months ago when I was home for leave, but he refused. Please help and guide me. I reside in Glendale CA. Thank you.

1. Margaret Davalene Wilson

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . You must be fearful for your own safety to get a domestic violence restraining order. If you are afraid for your safety it is get the restraining order. Otherwise you will need to serve him a 60 day notice to get out and then file an unlawful detainer action.

2. Joseph Torri

Pro

3

1

Answered . You should consult with an attorney about what specifically makes your scared. I understand he yells and calls you names. Discussing the domestic violence issue with an attorney should be your next step. There are attorneys that offer a free consultation. Based on what may or may not be domestic violence, an eviction may be necessary. It is difficult to give a detailed analysis on these posts in a situation like this. If you found the response helpful, please click the helpful tab.

www.JoeTorriLaw.com

3. Richard Eric Anthony Dwyer

Pro

2

Answered . Do both. Legally, your boyfriend does not have the right to be in your apartment. He is not even leasing it from you.

Move his stuff to a storage unit, change the locks and file for a restraining order. Have your attorney contact him with the storage unit information with instructions on how to get his stuff. All communication should go through your attorney.