Which route should I take? eviction or domestic violence?

Asked over 2 years ago - Glendale, CA

Everytime I ask my former-boyfriend to leave my aparment (rent is under my name and I pay not him) he is yelling and calling me names. To a point that I am scared even to sleep in my house, I sleep on the floor of my living room. What should I do? which route I should take? eviction or domestic violence. I am also scared that when he is yelling at me he could have an heart attack, he had 5 by-passes 3 yrs ago. I do not wish to be responsible. I just returned from my long deployment, asked him numerous time to leave he is refusing it. I asked him 10 months ago when I was home for leave, but he refused. Please help and guide me. I reside in Glendale CA. Thank you.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Margaret Davalene Wilson

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You must be fearful for your own safety to get a domestic violence restraining order. If you are afraid for your safety it is get the restraining order. Otherwise you will need to serve him a 60 day notice to get out and then file an unlawful detainer action.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more
  2. Joseph Torri


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You should consult with an attorney about what specifically makes your scared. I understand he yells and calls you names. Discussing the domestic violence issue with an attorney should be your next step. There are attorneys that offer a free consultation. Based on what may or may not be domestic violence, an eviction may be necessary. It is difficult to give a detailed analysis on these posts in a situation like this. If you found the response helpful, please click the helpful tab.


    This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This means that I am not your lawyer and I... more
  3. Richard Eric Anthony Dwyer


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Do both. Legally, your boyfriend does not have the right to be in your apartment. He is not even leasing it from you.

    Move his stuff to a storage unit, change the locks and file for a restraining order. Have your attorney contact him with the storage unit information with instructions on how to get his stuff. All communication should go through your attorney.

Related Topics

Eviction from rental property

Before a landlord can start eviction proceedings, he or she must follow specific rules (that vary by state) for giving a termination notice to the tenant.

Domestic violence

Domestic violence is physically, sexually, emotionally, economically, or mentally abusive behavior used to control an intimate romantic partner.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,971 answers this week

3,401 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,971 answers this week

3,401 attorneys answering