Skip to main content

Which name to write on I-130, G-325a and i-485 application ?

Los Angeles, CA |

Hi, I am applying for a green card and currently filling the applications i-130, G-325a and i-485.
When my wife (she is the US citizen) and I got married, she took my name additional to her maiden name (ex: John Doe, and Jane Smith get married, Jane's new name on the marriage certificate is now Jane Smith Doe).
However, she has not changed her documents yet (passeport, Social security card, driver's licence). everything is still on Jane Smith...
Is it ok that her passeport's name is still on her maiden name?
What should she write on the forms regarding:
- her name
- other names used.
Should we use her maiden name or her new name ?

Attorney Answers 4


She should use her new name, since that's the name she plans to use from now on. The USCIS will understand that her married name and maiden name have been joined for the purposes of her identity. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Use the married name from now on.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I would agree with my colleague. I would differ in approach but agree on the outcome.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


The name used on the forms will be the name used on the green card.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Recommended articles about Form I-130 (alien relative)

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics